MISSION STATEMENT ...
Library supports the cultural, economic and social well-being
of Masterton and its people. Working in partnership with local
communities, we provide quality resources and services that
meet residents' needs for knowledge, recreation and information.
LIBRARY HISTORY ...
Masterton library had it's beginnings in March 1867 when
a meeting of interested citizens resolved to establish a
Literary Institute and Reading Room. In 1872, another of
Masterton's unique organisations, the Masterton Trust Lands
Trust was established with the aims of supporting educational
and cultural institutions. The library became the recipient
of the first Trust grant of 160 pounds to assist with the
erection of a library building
110 years later the Trust Lands Trust again made it possible
for Masterton to benefit from a new library building when,
in 1981 they agreed to donate $75,000 towards the new library
thus making it possible for the Council to proceed with their
plans. Building started almost immediately, with the library
opening to the public in October 1982.
Donations have played
a large part in enabling the Masterton Library to provide
the services currently enjoyed by residents. When the current
building was opened in 1982, donations of cash and goods valued
at $128,000 had been given. One of the most significant was
a gift of $30,000 from Mrs Doris Madeley, a long time resident
of Masterton. The Masterton Trust Lands Trust and the Masterton
Licensing Trust commissioned local artist Jim Greig to produce
two ceramic panels which now adorn the doorways of the library.
The Masterton Spinners and Weavers created a wall hanging
for the children's section and the Wairarapa Embroiderers
Guild constructed an embroidered wall hanging consisting of
110 panels, with each panel commemorating an event of significance
in the history of the Wairarapa. This feature brings many
visitors to the library each year.
Both the Trust Lands Trust and the Masterton Licensing Trust
have remained strong supporters of the library with regular
annual donations and strong support for the annual summer
LIBRARY SQUARE ...
1995 the C.B. Lai building on the southern boundary of the
library, which had become an earthquake risk, was demolished.
The Masterton District Council purchased the site and held
a competition to design a garden for the area. The winning
design, by Carterton man, Craig Whitwell, called for the
inclusion of a statue or water feature. The Masterton Licensing
Trust was celebrating its 50th anniversary in 1997, and donated
a statue of Russian Jack, the last of the swaggers, to Masterton
in commemoration. The statue was unveiled in December 1999.
The Library Square can be booked for events
and displays. For further information contact
PARTNERS IN SERVICE ...
Masterton District Library acknowledges the following organisations
that assist us in providing extra services and programmes
for the residents of Masterton. These organisations make
it possible for the library to continue to offer a wide range
of services and special programmes.
- Eastern and Central Community Trust
provide funding for the E.C.READ'N Summer Reading Programme.
Masterton is one of a group of 23 libraries in the Trust
area participating in this programme. Participants in the
Summer Reading Programme are able to enjoy literacy-focused
activities and visits from professional storytellers and
entertainers thanks to support given by the Eastern and
Central Community Trust. The Trust also provided $25,000
to the Wairarapa Archival Society for shelving the Wairarapa
Archive ... website
- Trust House
support the Summer Reading Programme by providing the venue
and the food for the finale at Copthorne Solway Park Resort.
An annual grant also supports the Business and Reference
sections of the library and the Seniors Celebrate monthly
programme for senior residents of the District. The grant
has recently been increased to allow for the purchase of
Internet databases. website
- Masterton Trust Lands Trust
Our oldest benefactor. When Town Lands Trust (now Masterton
Trust Lands Trust) was established in 1872 their first grant
was to the Mechanics Institute, the forerunner of the Masterton
District Library. Then in 1981 their magnificent grant of
$75,000 made it possible for the Masterton Borough Council
to proceed with the erection of a new library. Throughout
their 127 year history the Trust has been a valued supporter
of the Library, providing grants to assist with book purchases
and library programmes.
In 2003 the Masterton
Trust Lands Trust together with Masterton Charitable Trust
agreed to support a unique development in Masterton, the funding
of a Maori Cadetship. This had been set up on a trial basis
in 2002 with a partnership established between Maori Access
Job Plus , Kura kaupapa Maori O Wairarapa and the Masterton
District Library. A combined grant of $20,000 from the two
Trusts enabled the cadetship to continue into years two and
three with additional financial support from Kura Kaupapa
O Wairarapa for year three. With its philosophy of commitment
to its founding document and ideals the Truat Lands Trust
places an emphasis on education and cultural opportunities
and recognises and supports new opportunities to further these
objectives. In 2004 the Trusts have made it possible for Masterton
District Library to participate in the EPIC Consotium and
also to purchase online databases
for the benefit of Masterton residents.
- Lottery Grants Board
A community facilities grant assisted the Masterton Borough
Council to build a new library in 1982. Since then the library
has been fortunate in attracting further grants through
other lottery divisions to assist in providing extra services.
Lottery Youth has helped with a wide range of holiday programmes
and provided funding for the first Summer Reading Programme,
which became a model for the highly successful E.C.READ'N
programme. Te Reo and Young Adult Summer Reading Programmes
were developed with the aid of Lottery Youth. Local history
and archival services have been developed and strengthened
by grants from Lottery Environment and Heritage, the latest
acquisition being a state of the art reader printer to facilitate
use of the extensive microfilm holding of early Wairarapa
top of page